Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Times are A Changin'

Today I notified my fellow staff at the Improve Group that I accepted the offer I received from Best Buy last week working in their Consumer Insights Unit.   My first day at Best Buy is May 14.

It was a difficult decision where I took much time in consultation and prayer to make.  I recently was able to help procure a renewal of the Improve Group’s biggest contract, the Department of Human Services, which accounts for more than a quarter of the company’s revenue.  Telling my client that I’m leaving was difficult and hopefully that doesn’t deteriorate the relationship between the Improve Group and DHS.    However, I made this decision for the following reasons:

The desire to work in business – At the Improve Group, my clients was exclusively in nonprofits and government agencies.   I was fortunate to work at the Improve Group over the past six years as the recession persisted as the additional government spending during 2009-2011 has been a real boost to the company.  However, I have had a desire to work in the private sector for quite some time and this opportunity fit the bill.  The opportunity allows me to use my analytical skills to help Best Buy as it recalibrates its business model.

The growth opportunities – At the Improve Group, I pretty much had reached the pinnacle of my growth opportunities.  As a company with only 12 employees and about a $1 million in revenue, I don’t have much more room for career growth to further develop my skill set in business settings.   At Best Buy, the growth opportunities are much greater at a company with over $50 billion in revenue.    I was concerned about the recent turnover at the company.   However, when I considered that Best Buy, despite its difficulties, has over $3 billion of free cash flow per year and is still growing revenue at nearly eight percent per year, I’m hopeful that with the right CEO the company can turn around quickly.  I’m also very compelled to know that working at Best Buy really enhances my resume as I move into the corporate world.  Finally, at Best Buy, I can network and transition within the company as my skill set builds and my interests change.

It’s a better fit – At the Improve Group, I have not been able use the MBA skills within the company to the extent I want.  At Best Buy, I’ll have plenty of opportunities to do so.  Also, the gender and political makeup of my co-workers at the Improve Group has put me at unease over the past few years.  I have been the only male employee at the company over the past year.  This past month three interns and one full-time employee was hired, all women.  So starting next week there will be 15 women and me working at the Improve Group.  Also, the pronounced liberal bent of my co-workers tends to get annoying.  So much so that a former intern of the company told me that he noticed that I didn’t friend any of them in social media.   There is a reason for that.

So looking at these criteria and much prayer, I made the decision it is time for a change.  With the Almighty’s help, I can make this transition one day at a time.  

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new corporate position, Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will Improve implement an affirmative action plan for hiring your replacement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working with only women? I can think of nothing worse... ;)
    Congratulations on your new job, I hope everything works out well!

    ReplyDelete