Saturday, March 2, 2013

An Exhibit that Brought Back Memories

I was driving home from Minneapolis this week when I saw a banner hanging in front of the Minnesota History Center a few blocks from my home that displayed the following:



Now that got my mind spinning (which may be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view and the time of day).  I've always been interested in the Civil War for as long as I remembered.  


In fact,  when I spent a year in DC after Carleton,  I recalled reading my favorite history book around that time, The Battle Cry of Freedom:



After reading this book,  I really became interested in the different sites of the Civil War.   On weekends I would drive my car (a Suburu, not a Prius) to different sites of the Civil War.  I've also tried to find sites when I'm visiting the area.  I've been to the following places:


Gettysburg

Antietam (Yes, Mr. Dickey, I know it's Sharpsburg)
Harper's Ferry


Bull Run (Yes, Mr. Dickey, I know it's Manassas)


The Wilderness
Incidentally,  during the Battle in The Wilderness,  Stonewall Jackson got wounded and had his arm amputated.  The arm was buried at The Wilderness.  I learned about this fact from my economics professor (now Beloit College President) when I was a Carleton student.  So while at the Wilderness I decided to find the buried arm, and I did at this location.




I immediately called my professor's home onsite and his first reaction when I told him on the phone was "Ohhh, you found it! I'm so so proud of you."  Memories.

Oh,  I did also visit the Confederate White House too.   After all, I'm Mellow Yellow.

There is so many great historical facts about the Civil War that I'm always interested in learning more about it.  Minnesota actually does have actual Civil War history from the Civil War.  From the account in The Battle Cry of Freedom,  the 1st Minnesota had a valuable part at Gettysburg.  It was the only regiment that Major General Winfield Scott Hancock had delay a Confederate Alabama brigade from puncturing the Union's defense line at Cemetery  Ridge.  Well, Hancock ordered the 1st Minnesota to charge the Confederate brigade so he could get enough time for reinforcements to arrive.  The 1st Minnesota did just that, all 262 of them charged against 1,600 Alabamans  and got the job done and the Confederate threat was snuffed out by twilight.  Only 47 1st Minnesota infantry  survived the charge, but they did eventually pick up the flag of the 28th Virginia Infantry to bring back to Minnesota and it hasn't been returned since.  

I guess I could go on and on about my affinity for Civil War history,  but I think I should just go to the Minnesota History Center exhibit and satiate my curiosity.  You probably should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment