Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Shutdown tidbits

Since we're in day two of the partial shutdown and I haven't personally interacted with some to effects, I did some research.  Although I would guess some essential services may not be provided, here are a few that I found that I don't think Calvin Coolidge would think of as essential services on the taxpayer dime.

* Election Assistance Commission - research for improving federal elections.  To me it appears we are not getting the expected Return on Investment (ROI) for this investment anyways, but that's my myopic opinion.

*National Gallery of Art

*Office of Government Ethics - Government ethics?

*Smithsonian

*Udall Foundation - educates on environmental issues.  Don't we have nonprofits doing this already?

*US Commission of Fine Arts

*Holocast Museum - Its a fine museum that I have visited, but should taxpayers fund a nonprofit-like entity?

*US African Development Foundation - I think we have many NGOs doing this already.

A short list from a quick scan.  I do think we'll survive this patch okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment