Monday, July 18, 2016

Profiling and the Election

It's been a couple weeks and I want to start posting on a more regular basis through the elections. So here I'm going to be commenting on recent events.

- The past month has been a terrible one in terms of local and world events.  We have terrorism both home and abroad.  The events in Orlando and Nice, France just prove that terrorism from radical Islamists is not just an academic discussion, it is a real issue that affects all of our sense of security.  The forces of ISIS are spreading their wings of influence around the world, partially due to the fact that they look to be losing ground in their Middle East strongholds.  So largely because of the large influx of Middle East immigrants, ISIS has found greater influx of influence in Europe, creating great sense of insecurity throughout the continent. So much insecurity that something many thought would happen has happened: the rise of nationalist parties and policies throughout Europe. We're talking Brits leaving the European Union and rising popularity of nationalist parties in places like Austria and France.  I frankly never thought the National Front would become a mainstream political party, but here we are, considering if L'Front Nationale Presidente Marine Le Pen will be President of France in 2017.  These are interesting times.

- In terms of other local events, it appears that racial strife is higher than it has been in my lifetime. The violent interactions between police and blacks in Baton Rouge and St. Paul more recently have brought up large questions of how far we've really come in race relations.  More frankly, the issue of racial profiling, specifically by our police, has be raised to the top of national discussion.  Our political leaders, for better or for worse (in my myopic opinion), have raised the rhetoric to flame passions on both sides of the issue. For example, I was frankly disappointed that the Governor Mark Dayton hours after the terrible shooting of a police officer (Latino, by the way) of a black at a traffic stop, took the girlfriend's account only and not any evidence from a more complete investigation to say this wouldn't have happened if it the police stopped a white guy.  In my myopic opinion, this is simply poor judgment from a political leader in a time when tensions needed to be cooled, not inflamed.    Now when it comes to the issue of racial profiling, that can be a debate worth having at time outside of that moment.  We simply need to have that debate at a time were folks are less emotional, which I admit is difficult when it comes to debates on race.

- For those who seek to know my views on racial profiling, I'll let you know. Do I believe profiling exists?  I certainly do.  Not only do we profile perhaps negatively (as we perhaps do with Muslims and blacks), but positively as well (as we perhaps do with Asians).  In both cases, these are generalizations, everyone has to be judged on their own merits.  Take my case as one of Chinese ethnicity.  Folks generally think that I'm pretty intelligent and have always earned high academic achievement.  Many of those folks don't know I earned 4 C's in 6th grade (which led to my father's memorable "I WAS proud of you" talk) or that I barely passed intro biology in college.  Everyone has to be judged on their own merits.

Do I believe police do racially profile?  I certainly do, largely because I feel that I've come across it myself.  There have been times when I've been pulled over where the officer asked if I was on a delivery, even without food in the car.  So that's anecdotal evidence from my experience that profiling does happen.  Why do I think it happens?  Because I think it's based on what officer's own experiences.  When you see this chart of 2011 Chicago homicides, you can see where bias would start to occur (Source: Intellectual Takeout):


So the question to me is whether of not profiling happens, is it it justified?  That is a question that I'm still debating.

- The election has now entered a new stage as the conventions are upon us and we are starting to see a stabilization of the race of Donald vs. Hillary.  While I still think that Hillary has a 60/40 shot of being President, it's clear that the Donald is becoming a more disciplined campaigner and politician.  He's largely been more on message in addressing current affairs and attacking Hillary and his choice for Vice President, Governor Mike Pence of IN, shows he's being more calculated in his decisions in my myopic opinion. These changes, along with Hillary being documented of lacking much veracity, has tightened the race a bit.  Can the Donald overcome his current electoral deficit and actually win?  Yes, but I'm still doubtful since the demographics and electoral map is so tilted in Hillary's favor by default.  Am I still not voting for the Donald?  That is a true statement.  Who will I vote for?  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment