Monday, December 30, 2013

Goodbye 2013, Predictions 2014

So here we are, the end of 2013.  For me, 2013 was a year of transition.


1) 2013 started for me literally at Best Buy corporate headquarters.  I was at my cube when the clock struck 12 am on New Years Day.  At that moment, the thought came through my mind that all these hours working wasn't really getting me anywhere and really harming my quality of life.  So after much discussion, prayer and networking, I was able to find a new job at Deluxe Corporation that provided a promotion and better work/life balance.  I am thankful for this answer to prayer.

2)   My sister graduated from Metro State - Denver this past May, finished her service with the military and is now engaged to married in 2014. I have tried to be more engaged in my commitment to building relationships with others in my work and in my church.  I'll just say it's a work in progress.

3) My good friend and Pastor, Roger Magnuson, passed into the land of the living this year.  His wisdom and friendship is something I can never repay.  I miss him greatly.  

So that was 2013, I'm optimistic that 2014 will provide better things, albeit one day at a time.  So I'm going to provide 5 predictions for 2014

1)  I will attend 3 weddings this year, a record year for me since I generally don't like to attend weddings.  

2) The controversial mobile app, SnapChat, will be part of a scandal involving a morally corrupt public figure, perhaps a politician running for public office.  This will essential shine a bright light of the dangers of such apps and create greater awareness among large sections of the public against using them.

3) Despite the headwinds of Obamacare and uncertainty of the future, the US economy will continue to grow.  Unemployment will decline and the deficit will shrink due to a large part to capital gains tax receipts from a rising stock market.  However, the gap between college-educated unemployment and non-college-educated unemployment will grow larger, refocusing the debate from income-inequality to the education gap in our society.

4) I will come very close to paying off the mortgage on my condo.  In 2008, I bought a condo in Downtown St. Paul in anticipation of development in the area.  Now much of the development will be completed in 2014.   I made a goal to pay down my mortgage to a certain number before paying it off.  At the start of 2014, I can feasible see reaching that number in 2014. If that happens, I will make the Dave Ramseys in the world quite happy.

5) I will travel to a New Years Day bowl game to watch the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team play.  As a season ticket holder, this will be a great sign of measurable progress.

4 comments:

  1. Wong, what's your Snapchat user name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention another year of Gopher Hockey fans getting ahead of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I congratulate you in advance for paying down your mortgage? I would be quite happy indeed if that happens! Happy New Year, Mr. Wong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But can the market keep gaining for the 2014 year with rising interest rates due to the Fed's "tapering" policy?

    ReplyDelete