Monday, December 23, 2013

SG at the SPCO: The Messiah

Over the summer I decided that instead of renewing my Gopher men's basketball tickets I would re-direct my resources towards hosting groups from church to classical music concerts performed by the SPCO.  I thought that I would try it out this year with a smaller subset as a 'beta' run.  So I chose a few concerts featuring works from the baroque to romantic eras (Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Handel) and just want to see how that went. 

Well, I have to say I am grateful to learn it has been received quite well.  I underestimated the interest, particularly for Handel's Messiah.   Thinking of these events as times for fellowship, I scheduled a dinner before each concert.  For the Messiah, I scheduled a potluck.  

Here's the evidence that the potluck did happen (Why aren't you smiling, Kelly?):


Of course, the Pastor of the church had to drop by (conveniently?) to finish an errand.   Upside for him and his wife was they get to mooch on the potluck.  Upside for everyone else, we get to see Pastor son Lars, who of course stole the attention of a few folks.




I guess of few of the ladies wanted to practice their carols for the van ride over to the concert.



Along with some ladies obviously enjoying their company.





We had the van ride over to the concert, which was at the Basilica of St. Mary.  It was a sold out event and we were sitting in right back of the sanctuary.  Here's the view from my seat.


The performance of the Messiah was superbly executed.  The SPCO orchestra played all the musical parts at a high level that could be heard excellently through the Basilica. We were told before the beginning of the concert that the countertenor, a large man, had the stomach flu during the day.  However, demonstrating his own witness to Philippians 4:13, he decided to go through with the performance, which he did very well. The vocal parts were all excellently performed, although the acoustics of the Basilica tended to lose the high key vocals and the orchestra drowned out the low bass notes at times.   However, the performance received an "A" grade from me.  It reminded me that while the SPCO had not performed the Messiah since 2000, they are very well versed to do it since they are better known for performing older baroque and classical works than the Minnesota Orch---(I guess their isn't another orchestra in the Twin Cities these days).

Overall, this was a very enjoyable evening with grade "A+" fellowship.  Perhaps I'll do it next year, Lord Willing.


"Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing." - Rev 5:12

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment