Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Calvin Coolidge Quotes of the Past 2 Months

Calvin Coolidge-Garo.jpg

I missed providing a quote for March, so you get a two-fer this post.  The first quote is in regards to Coolidge's attitude towards civilization and profits that he provided in a NYC speech on 11/27/1920:

"Civilization and profits go hand and hand."

Now I nearly call that a Coolidge proverb.  I guess I just did.

The second quote is in regards to Coolidge's attitude towards criticizing others during the last weeks of his life in an interview he gave on 12/14/1932:

"I do not care to be criticizing those in power.  If they succeed, the criticism fails; if they fail, the people find it out as quickly as you can tell them."

Thinking about it, that is true much more often than not, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. "Civilization and profits go hand and hand." I like this quote very much. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete