Tuesday, May 17, 2016

A Change I Can Believe In

The past couple of weeks have brought real change into my life.  The biggest change is that on May 5 I was driven to the Whiting Clinic in St. Louis Park to have LASIK corrective eye surgery.  

LASIK is something that I've been considering for years.  My sister Georgia had the surgery done over a decade ago and have raved about the results ever since.  I have had reservations about having though. My eyesight is very bad: it's a mixture of nearsightedness and strong astigmatism.  How bad was my eyesight?  I was diagnosed with having 20/2000 vision (not good at all).  So bad that each opinion I received until recently ended with a recommendation that I shouldn't have LASIK.  Which was ok with me because it allowed me a rationale to not do it when my family kept asking me to have it done.

However, this year I received an opinion that I could have PRK done, which is a corrective procedure that would correct my vision to 20/20.  However, the doctor told me it would take a couple months to fully feel comfortable seeing again.  I decided to get a second opinion from Dr. David Whiting, one of the most reknowned LASIK surgeons in the country.  He told me that he felt very comfortable performing all-laser LASIK (no blades) and that I would be able to drive the next day.  Well, I prayed and consulted multiple folks about this decision, including Georgia.  When I asked Georgia who she had perform her LASIK, she said Dr. Whiting and said he's the best in the area.  So I decided to go forward with it.

I will tell you that going through the surgery it was a surreal experience.  Here's a video of what happens:



I have to say after the doctor numbs my eye and I see this all happen in front of me, sticking objects in and out of my eye and smelling smoke as they shoot the laser through my eye, I don't think I'll live through such an experience again.

It's been about two weeks since that procedure and my vision is so much better. The doctor who examined me after the procedure said I had 20/15 vision when both eyes are together.  It's quite the change indeed! All provided through the Almighty's provision.

No comments:

Post a Comment