Monday, May 2, 2016

Check In Time

I guess it's been awhile since I last posted.  Life has been busy in multiple ways. Work and travel has been on the agenda.  One weekend I traveled to Florida for fun in the sun and baseball and then two weeks later I'm in Denver spending time with my sister Georgia.  But enough about my life, it's pretty boring stuff.

What I'd like to bring up is the fact that I've come to realize that we're probably on the eve of knowing that we're about to have two very unpopular individuals running against each other to be President of the United States.  The Democrats have decided that Hillary Clinton, the one we've seen in the national spotlight over the last 25 years, is their candidate.  This is despite the fact that Hillary embodies the qualities of the liberal intelligentsia that many on the Left rally against.  She's backed Big Business, foreign wars and has used her political influence to benefit herself in reputation and financially.  But despite all that, she's going to win the Democratic party nomination and by all accounts is favored to be the next President of the United States as of early May.  

On the Republican side, it's taken awhile, but it's clear that the Donald is on the cusp of accomplishing one of the greatest political feats in my lifetime in going from a man many considered to be running for President as publicity stunt to becoming the GOP's standard bearer from President.  I have to say while I don't agree with much of what the Donald says, he's certainly proven to show that he has very shrewd political skills in reading the electorate, defining the political debate and defining his opponents. The Donald has over the last 9 months crushed political dynasty candidates like Jeb Bush, Tea Party favorites such as Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio and Establishment standard-bearers like John Kasich.  I have found it fascinating how quickly he can change the narrative.  Like a month ago the Donald gets crush by nearly 20 points in Wisconsin to Ted Cruz and it looks like we're headed to a contested convention since Cruz's firewall in Indiana, Cruz had the comfort a state that had embraced his brand of cultural conservatism.  Yet hours before polls open, the Cruz campaign has come to this:



Oh well, on to the general election.  


No comments:

Post a Comment