Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The Reward Trip: Boston - Part 1

Currently I'm in Boston after a full day touring parts of the city.  I decided a couple of months ago that after I accomplished a personal goal of mine that I would treat myself to a trip.  I went online and found that tickets to Boston for a very reasonable price.  Since I'm one that likes to visit historic sites and Presidential libraries (I've been to the LBJ and Herbert Hoover libraries), I thought it'll be a good thing to head up to New England.

The trip started with a familiar start:


 Apparently my flight was what I hear is "Straitgate time."

I arrived late Tuesday evening.  The next morning, I headed out to breakfast to a neighborhood cafe, McKenna Cafe, to have a good meal.



After breakfast, I walked about a half hour to the JFK Presidential Library.



I was quite fortunate on this trip regarding the JFK Library.  A fellow Carleton alumnus runs the docent (guides) program there.  So I was provided a personal tour of the museum/library for no cost to me.  Anyway, back to the museum...


Here is the Freedom 7, which transported Alan Shepard as the first American in space.


A section of the original copy of JFK's Inaugural Address, the most famous section of it.  It has the edits marked in red, many of them occurred during the delivery of the address.  Made me realize how tenses matter when considering that famous "ask not" line.  Do you agree? 


The family Bible, a heirloom through the generations of Kennedys


The Oval Office mock up.  The video playing in the background was documenting how civil rights were becoming a big societal issue at the time.  There's footage of of JFK watching Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

So after I completed my tour of the JFK Library and had lunch with my fellow alum, I headed across town to Fenway Park.










Didn't actually know that Fenway was a horticultural hub with a rooftop veggie garden. 


At the end of the tour, there's an archive shop that has signed baseballs of all the members of World Series champions.  Here's a copy of the 1991 MN Twins ball.  Can you see pitcher Scott Erickson's name?


So I ended my tour there and headed to Harvard Square.






So it was a productive start to this short journey.  Lord Willing, the rest will be just as fulfilling.

1 comment: