Thursday, September 20, 2018

The Reward Trip: Boston - Part 2 : Freedom Trail and Maine

As I continued on my reward trip, today I rented a SUV (not my choice) and started on my two part journey today.  Part one was to take a tour of a large part of the Freedom Trail.

My journey down the Freedom Trail was to meet my tour guide, Ted, at Boston Commons.



Since Ted told me I was the only one on the tour, it was a personal one.  Never thought I get two personal tours on one trip (one of JFK Library and the other here).   Well, after I learned that the Boston Commons was a cow pasture for about 200 years, that most of current day Boston was water at that time and a grain barn across the street was next to a high society cemetery.  So we went to the cemetery and saw some well known graves.


John Hancock


Samuel Adams, who I heard was quite the polemicist


Paul Revere's original grave (the idea of a the humble coppersmith)

    
Paul Revere's other grave (the fact that he was a wealthy entrepreneur/businessman)


What you see here is the old State House, where many hot debates, court hearings and the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence took place.  Where those folks directly in front of me are standing is where the "Boston Massacre" took place.

So I thanked Ted for his time and continued up the Freedom Trail to Paul Revere's house.


A small house, not quite as small as Herbert Hoover's childhood home.  I did find it odd that Revere entertained folks from his bedroom.

So after I traveled back to my vehicle.  I drove up the coast to Portland, Maine.  It was my first time in Maine and all I hear about is that I need to have the seafood.  So I decided to go to a well-regarded seafood restaurant, The Lobster Shack.


Not a bad location



Food isn't too bad either.  Here's a lobster roll with fries/cole slaw.  I'm generally not a big seafood guy.  But I have to say the lobster roll wasn't bad at all.


I returned to town needing to walk off my dinner.  So I took a walk along the shore on a trail called the Eastern Promenade.



But when I returned to town I thought I end the day on a typical Straitgate type note: Ice cream.


So this trip is two-thirds over.  Guess I'm looking forward to the last third tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment