Sunday, May 19, 2013

Rocky Mountain - Day 2

Today is the big day for my older sister Georgia.  After great toil in life and education, she received Bachelors degree in Nutrition and Dietary Science from Metropolitan State University at Denver.  Bravo and Bravo!

She's come a long way since bashing my head against couch armrests. That includes nearly 20 years affiliated with the Army, including extended tours in Korea and Iraq.  I'll say she's much more courageous than I am along with being much stronger and healthier than I am.  Yes, I know you would think the slimmed down EDW would please her, but she still asks some questions.


Here's some photos:
A look at the Student Union


The Center Grounds of campus
The Commencement announced 1,840 graduates, which is about four and a half times larger than my Carleton Commencement 11 years ago.   I acknowledge the effects right at the processional where 'Pomp and Circumstance" was played about a half dozen times.  


A view from my seat at Commencement
Mom was efficiently using her time 

Where I waited for Georgia after Commencement, Soccer is a beautiful game!
Congratulations Georgia!  Mom and I are quite proud of you!
So my task for this weekend is finished.  I'll be returning to Minnesota in the morning.  I do have a question that I would like you to comment on though.  This afternoon after the Commencement my sister had an open house.  Between high school, Carleton and two Master degrees, I never had an open house  (I didn't even attend my MBA Commencement).  I just never thought that I merit a party in my honor at any time because completing an educational program is something that I was expected to do.

However, I pass this question on to you.  Should it be an obligation to have an open house after completing an educational program at any level?    Please comment.

4 comments:

  1. You should have had at least one open house. Are you angling for a post-degree open house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should by no means be an obligation. However, if the graduate wishes to celebrate his or her accomplishment in the presence of family and friends, then it is an appropriate and appreciated gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo Peter's comment. Or maybe to celebrate more efficiently, we could simply have you don a cap and gown at the next noodle night and honor you then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is that Calvin Coolidge would not approve of an "open house."

    In his words: "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

    Press on, Mr. Wong. Press on!

    ReplyDelete