Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day Trip!

I recently took a day trip up to Duluth with great fellowship and have a few visuals.


We parked at the Rose Garden near Leif Erickson Park in Duluth and started our walk in the Rose Garden.  Some folks appreciated roses more than others


Along the walk on this wet, overcast and cool day, you could see our ultimate destination come closer and closer:  Canal Park.  Can you see the Lift Bridge?


On this day, Duluth was having a Tall Ships Festival for the first time since 2010.  On the walk, I saw some ships out to sea (oh, I mean lake).


Some footage of a smaller ship.  Amateur video for sure.



On the way back, we drop by the site of the 1920 Duluth lynchings.  Here's the story:

On the evening of June 15, 1920, three black men, wrongly accused of raping a white woman, were abducted from the Duluth, MN, City Jail. A mob numbering between five and ten thousand people savagely beat and tortured these three young men, then hanged them from a lamppost in the middle of Duluth's downtown.

This is not a picture from yesterday, but a picture of a memorial next to the site.

I think everyone enjoyed themselves.  All I know was when I got home I was tired, must be getting old.

3 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I went on a tour of a tall ship that birthed at Detroit. The Christian Raadich. It really is like a step back in time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Radich

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an awesome trip! We for sure need to do something like that again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Looks like a great time. :) Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete