Thursday, January 16, 2014

Calvin Coolidge Quote (of the Month)

Calvin Coolidge-Garo.jpg

I know it's been awhile since I shared a Calvin Coolidge quote, so I'm going to try to bring it back on a regular basis.  I'll do what I can to keep on track.

Today's quote is from a Commencement address at Amherst College (a highly regarded educational  institution) that Coolidge provided while Massachusetts Governor regarding the use of knowledge.

"Civilization depends not only upon the knowledge of the people, but upon the use they make of it.  If knowledge be wrongfully used, civilization commits suicide."

You think knowledge if properly used today?  A matter of debate?  

1 comment:

  1. You asked for my opinion, here goes...

    I think that knowledge (and wisdom - the use thereof), as a skill, is not the same to day as it was in Coolidge's day. That is, commonly - there are exceptions like the late Roger Magnusen. We see the results of these changes all over society: education, parenting, ethics - and I do mean the lack of all the above.

    ReplyDelete