Monday, January 13, 2014

Ode to the Restaurant Chain

As you know, restaurants have been a big influence in my life.  In short, I owe pretty much my whole upbringing and education through the restaurant industry.  I grew up in restaurants founded by my father, the Jade Fountain and the Golden Inn.  I still go and work at the Golden Inn regularly and do enjoy it.  



One thing that I've noticed recently is that many of the restaurant chains that I grew up going to are being phased out.  I'm thought I'd share a few memories.

Tony Roma's 



I recall going to my first Tony Roma's when I was in Kissimmee, Florida with my family.  I recall my dad really enjoying the ribs.  Well, apparently not as many folks are enjoying the ribs these days.  Between 2002 and 2012, U.S. sales have declined by over 70 percent and the number of locations have declined from around 160 locations to 45 today.  I guess I need to find a new rib joint when I'm in Florida.

Bennigan's



The first Bennigan's I went to was with my roommate in Carleton when I traveled with him to his home in Washington D.C.  I have to say I enjoyed the fellowship more than the food, which was quite average to me.  I guess others have as well: sales declined by a staggering 90 percent between 2002 and 2012 and the number of restaurants declined from 285 to just 35 today.  I guess this Irish theme went down not swinging.

TCBY



I recall when TCBY first came out, the whole frozen yogurt thing appeared to be a fad to me.  Why would folks forgo the taste of ice cream for frozen yogurt?  Well, I guess my instinct was correct.  Between 2002 and 2012, sales declined by over 70 percent and the number of stores declined from 1,188 to about 500 today.  I rather have Greek yogurt myself.

Stats provided by Technomic.

So there you go, well known restaurant chains going up in smoke.  For those who dream of opening their own restaurant I'll just say, know the temperature before you enter the kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I quote that saying at the end? Did you pen that yourself? It makes a great compliment to the "get out of the kitchen" cliche!

    ReplyDelete