Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Random Thoughts…Myopically?

I’ll just take the time to say that my first three weeks at Best Buy have certainly kept me busy.  A whole lot of learning going on during these interesting times in company history.  By the way, did I hear the President say that the “private sector was doing fine” and that what is needed to jump-start the economy is more teachers and firefighters?  Who pays for the teachers and firefighters, those folks in the “fine” private sector?

I had my weekly checkup with the Medifast counselor Monday evening to assess how my diet is going.  Currently I’m in the maintenance phase of the diet, a yearlong assessment of my behaviors to make sure I’m maintaining a healthy weight.  However, the counselors the past couple months have advised me to figure out ways to incorporate more protein in my diet to build muscle while gaining back some weight.  I have to say I don’t ever feel hungry since I pretty much snack through the workday with fruit, popcorn and oatmeal and the evening having my daily serving of veggies, protein and capping the evening with Greek yogurt and fruit, drinking water throughout.  Yet today I weighed in less than 160 pounds.  That’s quite the change from Christmas time, where I was about 45 pounds more than I weighed today.  The counselors are puzzled how I could keep losing weight despite not using any of their meal replacements.   Currently, I’m burned off about 50 pounds of fat since I began the diet and maintained muscle at about the same level.  So I’m under orders to try to gain weight in a healthy way.  We’ll see how that happens.

A quick political gander and I have to say that I’m not too surprised on what happened in Wisconsin last week.  Having experience in a business in Wisconsin, I was well aware of the whole recall effort.  While GOP has had a great amount of success in Wisconsin over the past two years, it is not as easy to assess Gov. Walker’s success in fighting off the recall last week as many think.   While the GOP has every right to feel that they have the momentum after fighting off union-backed efforts to take over the State Senate and the Governor’s Mansion mainly successfully (the Dems did win control of the Senate last week, although ephemerally, since the Senate already adjourned for the year and the GOP favored to take control back this fall in GOP newly designed re-drawn districts; the Dems don’t really control any agenda items).  I more or less think that while the fiscal condition of Wisconsin’s public institutions has substantially improved, I largely think Wisconsin citizens were largely tired of having to repeatedly cast ballots in these recall efforts and any chance to end the process they would become strongly disposed towards.  So while I am strongly disposed towards Walker’s agenda, let’s not confused last week’s elections in Wisconsin to extrapolate what will happen on November 6.  However, I will say that Gov. Walker’s tactics have done something that the US President’s tactics have not done:  save government bureaucrats jobs.

1 comment:

  1. James can show you his tried and true technique of nightly frozen pizzas, Wonger. You'd have that needed weight on on no time.

    ReplyDelete