Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Trip to the Alma Mater

Yesterday I was able to take the journey down to Northfield to attend this year’s Carleton Reunion.  I was my 10 year reunion, which makes me feel quite aged since I still vividly remember the days I was on campus as an economics major well-known for penning opinions that were contrary to liberal orthodoxy in the college newspaper, The Carletonian.  Yet here I was, four and half hours after returning home from an all-night prayer vigil, visiting with old classmates at the alma mater.

When you come to Carleton, you have to know how to toss the disc.  Folks get mighty intense regarding this activity.

The '02 and '07 Ultimate Frisbee challenge

I pretty much spent the day walking through campus spending time looking at the new buildings and talking to old classmates about how life’s path has treated them.  Some have become very successful, more than a few have forged ahead and are growing a family and yet others are just scraping to get by in work and/or school.  Pretty much everyone was noting my weight loss and glad that I’m doing well.   I have to say that while almost all the folks I talked are well-aware that I see things differently from them in all aspects of life whether morally or politically, they were all very collegial and were generally interested in reconnecting on issues of common ground.  


That’s one thing that I recall from my Carleton experience as a student that hasn’t changed while I was at Reunion, the high degree or respect folks have for each other and the acknowledgement that everyone has good intentions in making a difference in society, even if there is a disagreement on what that means. To me, Carleton was a great experience for me because it constantly challenged me both academically and my development as an individual.  That's one thing that everyone should get from a liberal arts education, not the "liberal" in a political sense, but the challenge to develop one's analytical ability not just in the classroom, but in all aspects of life.

For a better explanation of why I feel Carleton was such a positive experience for me, I turn to former Secretary of State Condi Rice’s comments during her recent SMU commencement address:

"Education is transformative. . . . education has always been the key to human beings and their dreams – a force that erases arbitrary divisions of race and class and culture, and unlocks every person’s potential."

Regarding how Carleton challenged me to become a better analytical thinker that has to think of all sides of the issues, which has certainly helped me professionally (I am a data analytics professional),  Condi Rice has comments for that:

"There is nothing wrong with holding an opinion and holding it passionately. But at those times when you’re absolutely sure that you’re right, talk with someone who disagrees. And if you constantly find yourself in the company of those who say “Amen” to everything that you say, find other company”

Thinking of all the commentary I was receiving from certain professors and classmates while as a Carleton student, I certainly found that “other company.”  However, finding that “other company” was perhaps the best thing to happen to me because it really caused me to examine myself.  Self-reflection is generally a good activity in my myopic opinion.

All in all, while a bit tired, I enjoyed my time at Reunion.  Although I may not fit the Paul Wellstone stereotype of a Carleton alum, but I agree with what former Carleton President Larry Gould said: “You are a part of Carleton, and Carleton is a part of you.”

3 comments: