Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Grand Occasion


I'm probably on my return from Ann Arbor, Michigan to attend a good friend’s wedding Friday evening.  I don’t attend weddings often for I generally think these types of celebrations tend to get a bit over the top, especially when the adult beverages are involved, but I really looked forward to attending this wedding due to the folks I know in it, and the relationships I have with their families.

I do have to say that my travels to Ann Arbor were both cost-effective, but also arduous.   It started at 10 pm Wednesday night when I walked from Straitgate Church to the Metrodome, a good 20 block walk in the middle of the night.  Then I completed an 8-hour overnight bus trip from Minneapolis to Chicago, where apparently every passenger had two seats for themselves except me.  To say the least, the night wasn’t as restful as I was hoping.  I completed the trip with a 4.5 hour train ride from Chicago to Ann Arbor, which was needed since I was able to get much more leg room that these trains provide.

Western Michigan University

Western Michigan University

Union Station

Amtrak seat view
Once I arrived in Ann Arbor on Thursday afternoon.  I made my way from the train station to Zingerman's deli and had a sandwich that certainly haven't meant my dietary restrictions the past six months.  I then made my way to the Michigan Union to eat my sandwich and run some errands via my computer.  At around 5 pm, I went and visited the Ross School of Business to see where I could have attended if I was more serious about attending a full-time MBA program (I earned my MBA through a part-time program).  I have to say, I did miss out on a few things building-wise.


Michigan Union
Ross School of Business
A view above the Atrium - Ross School of Business
Auditorium - Ross School of Business

The wedding itself?  It was a well-run programs with great music and great testimony.  I didn't take pictures of that, but I'm sure that other blogs will have pictures in the coming week or so.  (Yes, I'm a free-rider).

I have to say that I’m sincerely glad that I’m not part of the wedding in any way since every time that I do so it usually doesn’t end well.  There are two times when I was part of a wedding program.  The last time was as an usher during a hot July day.  I have to say I both nearly fainted due to the heat and I also missed my cue in rolling out the red carpet before the bride.  Obviously, that didn’t reflect well on me. 

The first time, however, was quite a telling story.  As a young lad I was a ring bearer for a wedding.  All I needed to do is the carry the rings down the aisle.  Well, I don’t recall every moment of this event, but I’ve been reminded about the details multiple times.  When I walked down the aisle with the rings, I made it halfway down the aisle when I suddenly threw the rings up in the air and ran out of the church screaming and crying.  While the crowd was a bit stunned, my father was apparently laughing quite loudly.   Perhaps I’ve been afraid of commitment ever since, who knows?

However, I’m sincerely glad to have been in Ann Arbor these days to attend this event.  I am fully confident that the Almighty caused these two folks to have this day and that’s news that I’m utterly glad to know.  I'm also glad that all the parents were able to physically witness this event.  What a great blessing indeed! 

3 comments:

  1. The ring bearer story made me LOL. But you already knew that. You keep hold of those rings about the same way Trent keeps hold of a softball bat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! You go to Michigan for a wedding and all you return with is pictures of a business school? Really sir, I am highly disappointed! And as to your comment that other bloggers will be posting enough pictures? That sounds like an excuse to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting observations. As a ringbearer, apparently I was also a bit of a minus in the days of my youth, though I think it was mostly due to my inability to pay attention to my cues.

    ReplyDelete