Saturday, August 4, 2012

Quick Memories and Mitt Take

Last night I was perusing on the alma mater’s website, Carleton College, seeing if there are any local events in the Twin Cities area that could remotely interest me.  While on the website, I learned that there are archived versions of the school newspaper, the Carletonian, posted on the site through a searchable database engine.  Back when I was a student, I was frequent contributor to Carletonian speaking on issues ranging from affirmative action to environmental issues.  So I decided to search my name in the database and it returned multiple items of my past columns to multiple professors responding to my columns making the case of the utter myopia of my views.  It was a fun thing to examine.  However, the one thing that I was most intrigued by is that I was such a hot topic in the Carleton media that I became a subject of a cartoon “Robot of the Week.”  It was obviously a political cartoon.



The text was so small that I thought I should zoom in and investigate.










Well, who is that familiar looking guy in the middle with the short hair and eyeglasses stating “Ha! Ha! Ha!  The earth’s old.  It can take it.  Ha! Ha! Ha!?”  Why is the MPIRG (Minnesota Public Interest Research Group) robot trying to cut his neck off?  Hmm.  

Oh, the good ol’ days.

I guess I should provide my Mitt Romney take.  While I have previously noted my skepticism of his candidacy, I have to say I have been impressed by his campaign’s discipline considering his political past.  While there have been occasional instances of his capricious instincts taking over (his Olympic security comments stating reports were “disconcerting” and then saying London is “absolutely ready” a day later the latest instance), I have been impressed by his campaign’s discipline thus far.  It’s also obvious what his strategy is to me.

  • Until mid-August, raise as much money as he can and spend only as much as needed to not be defined by the President.
  • In mid-August, increase interest in the campaign through the VP announcement and rollout tour.  During the rollout, start stating some “big ideas” to build contrasts with the President.
  • Announce broad and specific themes during the GOP convention to bring about party unity and crystalize signature ideas that folks can relate.
  • With the money advantage he may have with the President, spend the last month of the campaign pounding the President with ads and building grassroots get-out-the-vote infrastructure for Election Day.  


I know of folks, including me, that have been frustrated that Romney hasn’t produced specific ideas to contrast himself with the President, but I can see why he hasn’t.  If he released his specifics now, they either become old news in a couple weeks and/or they will provide fodder for the opposition to poke holes.  Thus, by keeping the race close and holding his big rollout of ideas until another week from now, Romney is betting on shortening the campaign is his best chance at beating an incumbent President.

Will it work?  I have my doubts, but we shall see.

2 comments:

  1. As to that unfortunate cartoon, all I can say is, "It is what it is." I'm sorry you had to spend four years in such a miserable place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting......

    ReplyDelete