Monday, September 10, 2012

Short Takes

It's been a busy couple weeks for me.  Last night I was at work at the Best Buy office until 8 pm working on some additional analysis for a meeting early next week.  I have to say with the news surrounding the company regarding a new CEO, a Frenchman, and the founder of the company trying to take the company private,  working at Best Buy never provides dull moments.  

- I recently learned that St. Olaf's faculty has endorse the opposition to the affirmation of  heterosexual marriage MN constitutional amendment on this fall's ballot.   St. Olaf faculty has joined the likes of General Mills and Augsburg College to oppose the amendment.  My myopic opinion even taking into account my conviction that marriage is between a man and a woman that I don't really understand why businesses or colleges would take any stand on these issues.  It demonstrates a focus of intellectual elitism to me in that it's trying to leverage their reputation into trying to communicate what is best for the rest of us.   Should a few dictate what's just morality or what public health policy should be for the rest of us?  Should the evidence of the deleterious effects of homosexuality in regards to pro-creation and public health not enter this discussion due to an elite few?  I would hope not. Just a myopic opinion.

- Talking about intellectual elitism, the polls have closed and the voters have decided that my personality best fits the Toyota Prius.  So according to my post introducing this poll, I'm both efficient and an intellectual elitist.  Frankly, in my myopic opinion, I don't think I'm either of those things.  Efficiency is something I continue to work on, generally when I do tasks I am quite methodical in completing them, which generally takes quite a bit of time.  Intellectually elite, that is up for debate.  Yes, I do have three post-graduate degrees, but I'm still a son of a cook who has to ask a lot of questions on simple house maintenance projects before completing them.  Okay, I know I drive a Prius, with great satisfaction I admit due to it's high reliability, 10,000 miles between oil changes and fuel efficiency.  But that doesn't necessarily means it's the best fit for my personality in my myopic opinion.

- I recently went to my first Gopher football game as a non-student season ticket holder. The Gophers beat New Hampshire 44-7.  I like attending Gopher football games since the games are outdoors, the atmosphere is generally cordial, the football entertaining and the mini-donuts are nearby.  I look forward to attending more games the rest of this season. I may be Pollyanna, but I am hopeful for this season.

So there we are, another busy, yet uneventful week in the life of Mellow Yellow.


1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, having to ask multiple questions in order to complete routine house maintenance sounds like evidence for, not against, the proposition that you may be an intellectual elitist.

    Perhaps we should make a list:
    "You might be an intellectual elitist if..."?

    ReplyDelete